May 21, 2013

Question of the week: What are your rules for combining clothes?

"Wrong Combos" collage by Vera van het Hof
This year, fashion seems to be clashing everywhere: statement stripes are one of the biggest trends on the display windows and it doesn't look like bright colours on sneakers, jeans or hair are going anywhere either. However, combining clothes creatively and coming up with exciting yet chic outfits is not always as easy as it may sound, especially for the shyer dressers, who want to have a bit of fashion fun but prefer mild seasoning in their looks without too many quirks. Last month, Vera from Fashion Reset wrote about her thoughts on combining dresses, jackets and their hem lengths and shared her own "rule": short over long, long(er) over short or long over long. That leads us to the question of the week, which is:

 

What kind of rules do you have for combining your clothes? 


Do you rely on a certain colour palette, follow suggestions from style guides, never wear black with brown or clash your clothes fearlessly? We are curious, so share your personal rules and combination philosophies with us below in comments or on Facebook!

5 comments:

  1. I don't have that many rules, but I don't think I'll be wearing a wide skirt with a wide top anytime soon. A wider top does look good with slim trousers. I think that having a good idea of your body type and most fiattering colours is a good start to making any combination look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! I could name so many items that I absolutely loved seeing on other people, but that made me feel uncomfortably shapeless, short, wide etc. when I tried them on myself. I don't really follow style guides or strictly apply "What Not To Wear" rules to my own style, but I do think they can give some good tips when getting to know to your shape and learning what might flatter it the most.
      - Emmi

      Delete
  2. I completely agree with Els above :) I think having a healthy dichotomy in your wardrobe is good. But also I like to just break rules so I have no rules since I would just break them. I am always breaking fashion fauxpaux like no white before memorial day (suck it I just wore white!) and no black/brown mix (I have pants that are black and brown...crazy people) and various other no. no's but for me its always about what I FEEL good in. If I wanna wear a potato sack with skinny jeans well YES I WILL (and that actually sounds like it may work out :)) so no rules. except feel good in what you wear, and feel good about what you wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, long live fashion anarchy - breaking rules and experimenting is definitely good and refreshing! I really look up to people who have the creativity and guts to sport unconventional combinations on the streets. They always give me a lot of inspiration and ideas especially when it comes to colours, as I tend to get stuck with just blues, blacks and browns myself.
      - Emmi

      Delete
  3. I have a very style savy ten year old. She's been choosing her own combinations since age 4. We just made sure her clothes were age and season appropriate, but otherwise no censoring of her picks. She's come up with some very wild and oddly inspiring choices.

    ReplyDelete